Cloth pads have an initial up-front cost that pays off over time; most of our customers report savings of over $500! But you want to make the most of your investment by keeping your GladRags in like-new condition. Here’s our top seven tips for keeping your cloth pads as good as new.
2. Don’t use bleach. It degrades the fabric, especially the area around the snap. Using bleach is the quickest way to wear out your pads!
3. Pre-soak in a soaking container before washing to keep your cloth pads stain-free. Adding a little Bac-Out or Ruby’s Red Wash is a great idea, too. Always change the soaking water every day or they’ll get smelly!
4. Always wash in cold water. Cold water helps prevent staining, doesn’t stress the cotton fibers, and is better for the environment and your energy bill! Everybody wins.
5. Stock up. The more cloth pads you have, the fewer times each one gets used during your cycle, giving you more time before you need to replenish your stash. And when you buy a GladRags Kit you’ll spend less than if you bought each pad individually, saving you even more cash!
6. Use less detergent. Most of us use way more detergent than we need to — and more detergent does not equal more clean! The excess will build up on your pads, reducing their absorbency and making them wear out more quickly. Try Rockin’ Green’s Femme Rock for a natural clean, and always follow the directions on the packaging.
7. Line dry outside or on a drying rack. The heat of a dryer slowly damages cloth pads, shortening their lifespan. Plus, if you dry outside, the sun will act as a natural stain fighter! If you prefer to use the dryer, always choose the lowest setting.
Did we miss something? Let us know in the comments!