Toxic Shock Syndrome… it’s a big deal. Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) occurs when a common bacteria creates a toxin that is then absorbed into your bloodstream. Tampons are often the culprit, possibly because they overdry the vagina and cause micro-tears where the bacteria can easily get in.
One of the scariest things about TSS is that often it can masquerade as another malady. Because its symptoms such as sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, and high fever can be indicative of many illnesses, women with TSS may not realize what it is until it’s too late.
Over half of the incidences of TSS are tampon related. The effects of untreated or late-treated TSS can range from mild to severe, anything from gangrene, short term memory loss, loss of hair or nails, continual infections, loss of energy for weeks or years. TSS can be fatal; this is serious business!
If you suspect you or someone you know has fallen ill due to Toxic Shock Syndrome, urge them to remove (and save, if possible) their tampon. Get them or yourself medical attention IMMEDIATELY and inform the doctor that you have been using tampons.
Make sure to stay educated by visiting You Are Loved (where I found the information for this post) to read about other people’s stories with TSS, and further information on how to prevent and recognize TSS. Stay safe!